Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Another light bulb moment!

Here's the most recent "a-ha" moment in learning how the guitar really works.

One thing that's been on my list of things to practice in the near future is quickly identifying the notes on different degrees of a scale. I'm learning scales and starting to unlock the fret board, but it still seems like a magic trick when guitarists quickly say something like, "I just played a D, which of course is the 5th in a G major scale, so asdlfj...." Wait, what? How do you know those degrees so quickly? I can count it out if I know the root note, but it takes a second. Remembering all that is going to take a *long* time.

But for now, I'm practicing some other stuff that's unrelated to all that. Or so I thought. I started basic ear training exercises, specifically the ones at JustinGuitar, starting with learning the perfect 4th and perfect 5th interval. I start practicing that for a little while, and it hits me:

Wait a second. These have consistent interval shapes along the neck. It's crazy easy to remember. I can use this as a cheat sheet to identify the 4th or 5th degree from any freakin' note on the neck. So while I still don't have everything memorized, if I want to know what a I-IV-V chord progression should look like in any key, the perfect cheat sheet is right there. Everything is connected! Learning guitar is like taking a difficult exam that you studied really hard for, but they put the answers right in front of you.

Of course feel free to share your own!

submitted by /u/b3wizz
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give In to Me Guitar Lesson – Michael Jackson

Bookmark 0 In this Give In to Me guitar lesson video, I will show you how to play this great Michael Jackson song featuring Slash on the g...