Sunday, February 16, 2020

Accidentally muting adjacent strings

Hey, I recently bought an electric guitar and I'm returning after 10+ years so pretty much a beginner at this point. I like my progress so far (memory is a hell of a thing) but one issue I'm having a lot is muting adjacent strings when doing open chords. I don't remember having this issue when I played -- might be because my hand was smaller as I was younger, or because I played acoustic which has a wider neck.

For example, when playing D I often mute the E string with my 3rd finger. When playing A I sometimes mute the G string with my 2nd finger and sometimes mute, once again, the E string with my 3rd finger.

Should I always make an effort to have my fingers as perpendicular to the neck as possible? In such a way that I only press the string with the very tip of my finger? Is that the correct way to avoid this issue? Should I try something else?

submitted by /u/fourierdota
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian - WTOK

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian    WTOK * This article was originally published here ...