Sunday, April 12, 2020

Advice in learning guitar from a violin background?

With the shelter-in-place order from COVID-19, I want to use this time to learn how to play the guitar (both electric and acoustic). For electric, I want to eventually play like Yvette Young from Covet and/or Tim Henson from Polyphia. They both look like they're having so much fun when they're playing!

I used to play the piano and violin but stopped once I went to college. I was in no way a virtuoso, but I am more comfortable with reading musical notation over tab. I have been self-teaching myself for the past year or so but would like some advice to better target my practicing. When learning the guitar, I felt like I shifted from badminton to tennis, and I couldn't help but wonder if I am picking up bad habits along the way? Or if I am approaching guitar practice ineffectively?

Any recommendations/feedback/advice would be appreciated.

This is what I have been doing so far:

1) I started learning fingerstyle pieces that are in D Major scale, mainly because it is the scale I am most comfortable with from violin. I also chose fingerstyle because when using a pick, my right hand would get "lost" with the position and orientation of the strings. With violin, I was so used to seeing all four strings in front of me. Is it bad to not use a pick when playing electric? Is there a "beginner" scale for guitar that I should master?

2) Been learning the fretboard neck through the Rick Beato YouTube videos because for some reason, the CAGED system just doesn't stick in my head? :( I'm generally still stuck with first position for the most part. How do you approach practicing to achieve familiarity with multiple positions?

3) I think I know the open chords but only in the first position. I am generally more comfortable with playing single notes because of violin. Where does one even begin learning chords? With piano, all the notes are laid out and I can see the "pattern" to make the chords. But with guitar, I don't quite see the pattern, and it's not obvious to me (yet). Any recommended resources out there? Or is this something that requires rote memorization of chord shapes?

4) Is it normal to experience wrist pain in my right "picking" hand? I would love to have 5-6 hour practice sessions, but I notice I often stop after 1 hr due to R wrist pain and L side neck pain. Back in the day, I would practice violin and piano for long sessions without any pain whatsoever. Is it due to positioning? Or finger strength?

5) The songs I have been learning are ones with both traditional music notation and tabs below.

Thank you so much everyone. Sorry for the incredibly lengthy post!

submitted by /u/woodpekkah
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clapton Crossroads Style Lesson

In this lesson you’ll learn a Clapton Crossroads style solo that combines the major and minor pentatonic scales. This lesso...