Friday, June 5, 2020

Is it wrong to mute the low e string with your thumb?

Hi there, I’m a beginner that’s been playing for just about three months now. I’ve been following along to Justinguitar’s lessons and I love them, but he always stresses the importance of keeping the thumb behind the fretboard. The thing is, I find it very comfortable to mute the low e string by lightly touching it with my thumb. I feel very confident with chord changes as it is, as I’ve been practicing every day for several hours. I don’t mind muting strings with the tip of my fingers as I do it on chords like Cadd9 with my middle finger, but on chords like D and Dm it’s pretty tempting to use the thumb. Is this considered bad technique, or could it hurt my progress in the long run?

Another thing I’ve been worried about is, I’ve got the full barre F chord down and can move it up and down the fretboard comfortably, but I’ve been really struggling with the A major shape barre chord. I usually see people barre strings 2 3 and 4 with their ring finger so I’ve been trying that out and oh boy, I thought I hated F but I REALLY hate this one. I can consistently get it to ring out fine on my electric and acoustic, but bending my ring finger in that weird shape makes the joint closest to the tip of the finger sore after a while. I’ve jammed that finger a couple times years ago playing basketball so I worry a bit this could be because it didn’t heal properly or something. Is this something I should be concerned about, or will it go away the more I practice and the stronger my finger gets? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/Sueaq
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian - WTOK

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian    WTOK * This article was originally published here ...