Thursday, September 24, 2020

I'm thinking about stopping lessons to learn on my own. Any pointers?

For the past year and a half, I've had an awesome guitar teacher who taught me the fundamentals (CAGED shapes, Minor and Major scales/Pentatonics, playing musically, hitting root notes when soloing, etc.), but recently, I just haven't been feeling his teaching. I feel like guitar is more of a chore when I do the stuff he assigns me. Right now he's having me work on playing through triads and linking them through every imaginable scale. I hate it. For the past few months, I just haven't really been having fun.

We've talked about my goals with guitar and how I want to get proficient in blues and metal guitar, but it feels like we're focusing on every skill that isn't even related to what my end goals are.

I understand that sometimes I have to bite the bullet and learn some stuff I don't want to so I can improve as a player, but we've been doing stuff that I hate. In no way do I enjoy having to just sit at my desk figuring out what triads go where and what they do. I feel like it won't help me reach my end goal.

I'm asking what you all think I should do in my situation, and if you all could recommend resources for me to study (regardless of if I go out on my own or stay with my teacher) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/MrMichailF
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian - WTOK

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian    WTOK * This article was originally published here ...