Thursday, November 18, 2021

A little guidance?

Im obviously no expert in any way, but I understand the basics of music theory. I know the notes, intervals, what scales are, how chords are built off of them, root notes, circle of fifths... I’m sure when I get deeper into music theory that I’ll be pretty confused. But I honestly I don’t feel confused by theory so far.

What confuses me is extrapolating that knowledge onto the fretboard and actually using it. How does one know all the chords, scales etc in a given key, without having to think about? How do you effectively practice to get to that point? To move across the neck with ease and switch between different chords, voicing, melody lines, keys?

Say someone calls out key of G. Do you just memorize all the chords in the key, their degree, the g major scale across the neck until it’s second nature? And then you know what to do without having to sit and calculate things out in your head? And then do that over again with every key?? How can anyone remember all of that?? Am I missing something?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I’m just feeling a little lost and discouraged.

submitted by /u/Any_Challenge5650
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian - WTOK

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian    WTOK * This article was originally published here ...