Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Hurting my thumb while practicing?

I feel like I must be doing something wrong - my left hand (the one that navigates the fretboard) is positioned with my thumb on the neck, basically on the round part in the center. I feel like this is the only way for me to move my hand accurately around on the fretboard, and by putting pressure against my thumb, it seems like the only way for me to form a barre chord - making sort of a pinching between my thumb and index laying flat.

The downside to this is that my thumb hurts pretty bad after playing too many barre chords. Is this something I have to strengthen up to? Am I doing something horribly wrong? When I look at others playing, they seem to have their thumb up over the top of the fretboard, but I get no leverage this way and its very hard to wrap my hand around the guitar to form any chords.

I've only been playing for a short time so its totally possible I'm just doing something way wrong, in which case, how can I really learn the correct technique?

submitted by /u/anon86158615
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian - WTOK

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian    WTOK * This article was originally published here ...