Sunday, October 24, 2021

Drummer learning guitar, question about a strumming pattern

Hey guys,

I’m a drummer of about 5 years, and I recently picked up the guitar, probably about a month and a half ago. For the most part, I’ve noticed that everything I learned about rhythm from drumming has really helped me with the learning process. There’s this one thing though that’s been tripping me up.

My trouble right now is that every once in a while, the way I naturally strum a certain rhythm as a drummer is different from the technically correct way to strum that rhythm, at least according to many guitar learning sites. Usually this happens with rhythms involving both a string of eight notes, and sixteenth notes that begin on an offbeat.

Here’s a good example:

This is the way I naturally strum this rhythm: https://imgur.com/a/ZCTHj9P

and here’s the way that i’m pretty sure is technically correct: https://imgur.com/a/6q03tpf

The first way seems easier/efficient and way more natural to me, but I really don’t want to learn how to strum incorrectly as a beginner. So should I force myself to strum patterns like these the technically correct way (2nd vid), or is the way I strum naturally an acceptable habit?

Thank you for any help!

submitted by /u/rdg110
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian - WTOK

DC Guitar Studio Celebrates 5 years in Meridian    WTOK * This article was originally published here ...